Wednesday 7 March 2012

Portrait of Northumberland

I love mooching through secondhand shops for books. Despite the groaning book shelves and towering 'to read' pile already at home I can't resist bringing more back. I recently found a real gem, a copy of Portrait of Northumberland by Nancy Ridley, first published in 1965, in excellent condition. The Ridleys are one of the oldest families from the great county I now call home. Nancy was passionate about this area, she was born, lived most of her life and died here.

I can't wait to get into the book, written by such an enthusiastic, knowledgeable local lady. It'll be intriguing to see what's changed (first thing I notice is the county map looking a little bigger in those days than it is today!) but also to read about things that haven't changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment